It’s all about the golden rule!
You might chuckle at some of these recommendations, but they are very important to the roommate relationship! Enjoy!
- Do find roommates you know you can communicate with. Be willing to listen and speak openly.
- Do be receptive to different ways of life and different values.
- Do be courteous and respect the privacy of your roommates.
- Do clean up after yourself in shared areas.
- Do keep your noise at a level that does not interfere with your roommates. They may not want to hear the television going 24/7.
- Do discuss how the rent, utility bills, cable bills, etc. will be divided.
- Do establish ground rules on sharing of things – i.e. game systems, food, laundry detergent, dishes, etc.
- Do share in the decorating of the common areas of your new place.
Everyone does not care for the color purple or wants pink throw pillows in the living room.
- Do be courteous on the frequency of guests. Establish guidelines for overnight guest stays so no one gets caught in their underwear or other embarrassing situations.
- Do learn to compromise on issues that arise.
- Do discuss and purchase renters insurance. It’s inexpensive and can save you a bundle in the event of a problem.
- Do ask your roommates what you can do to be a better roommate.
- Don’t borrow your roommate’s personal belongings without asking.
- Don’t ask your roommates to keep unwanted secrets, i.e. something that is illegal or could be harmful to them.
- Don’t hit on or sleep with your roommate’s girlfriend/boyfriend.
- Don’t promote gossip and cliquish arguments.
- Don’t forget to use the air freshener in the bathroom when needed.
The Golden Rule on Roomies!
Check out this video…we think you’ll like it!